About Me

My photo
The 'B' List. A look at the beautiful things in life. This blog is devoted to that list. Join me on the journey, why don't you?

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

More than just SATC...

Candace Bushnell is by far one of my favorite authors. I don't think she gets the credit she deserves, as SATC eclipsed her and took on a life of its own. I find that people either Hate or Love the SATC book - and I for one love it - the vignettes of city life, her edgy style, crazy characters. People who Hate it seem to want it to be more like the tv series or the movie, but I'm glad it's different - it stands out in its own, unique way.

4 Blondes is another earlier book of hers that people either Love or Hate - (guess which side I'm on). Bushnell is actually one writer who's books I should purchase, instead of taking out from the library, but for some reason I'm always going to the library for her (lack of money and shelf space are also in the running). That's too bad for me, because 4 Blondes had this amazing line - it was so brilliant, it like summed up the meaning of life, or something like that (in her deep yet ironic way). And, since that was a library book, I can't remember the line. I should really take it out again and write it here for posterity, and so you can see just how brilliant she is.

But, I do have another line to share. I just finished The Carrie Diaries, and it was fabulous, (and certainly not just for teens). I would expect nothing else. Here's one of those brilliant moments:

"Danny walks me to the entrance. As we say good-bye, he looks into my eyes with what appears to be a deep, sympathetic understanding, and suddenly, I envy The Mouse. A girl could be comfortable with a guy like Danny. She wouldn't have to wonder if he was going to flirt with her best friend or dance with her worst enemy. I wonder if I'll ever find a guy like that. And if I do, whether I'll be smart enough to want him."

Ahhh. So true. I think these thoughts may have passed through many a girl's mind, so it really does resonate, and even though the "dance with her worst enemy" part is actually literal here, there are so many connotations and allusions that can reference. Bushnell has a way with words in all her books that I admire, and certainly aspire to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me your thoughts! I love to hear from followers and readers :)