About Me

My photo
The 'B' List. A look at the beautiful things in life. This blog is devoted to that list. Join me on the journey, why don't you?

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Oh, the sheer impossibility of waiting...

This weekend, I redeemed another one of my daily deal coupons - winemaking. Mmmmm, vino. My bf and I went up to the winery (in Aurora) - yes, a bit of a hike, but worth it, as I mentioned a few posts ago about the obscenely high costs of alcohol in Ontario. We went in, and it's a pretty classy place, actually; besides winemaking supplies, they have all these cute little wine-related goodies - carafes and bottles openers in the shape of animals, Parisian-esq coasters and hundred-dollar glasses (yes, for one glass). The lady asked what type of wine I usually buy, and as she listed off the various countries (Australia, South Africa, Argentina, etc) I realized that what I really like was right here at home. So we ended up choosing a white wine - very similar to this Jackson-Triggs Ontario white that I really love.

The process was quite simple - water, the grape juice/concentrate, this clay mixture that was sprinkled in (to clarify) and yeast (to turn it into alcohol, baby!) I had such fun, for some reason, I forgot this has to sit for a month and ferment; I was looking forward to drinking a bottle last night! I guess that's the downfall of u-brew; gratification is not instant.

Later on, since we were up north anyway, we took a little day trip to Lake Simcoe, and swam, sat on the docks, lapped up the sun. I love lazy summer days - where the sky is endlessly sunny and blue, and warms your skin after coming out of the chilly lake. I also got to catch up on my summer reading - I'm halfway through Bridget Jones's Diary, which is classic, classic, chick lit, and I'm a bit embarrased to say I haven't read it before. (The movie, of course! How could I not see a Colin Firth flick?) Any chick-lit reader worth her Manolos though will tell you that Bridget Jones is like the mecca of the genre, and devotees of chick-lit must definitely read it! I do love a good romance, as evidenced by my first post, but in the past five or six years or so, I've branched out to chick-lit a bit.

It's actually very good. Sometimes I wonder if a book has too much hype, but this one actually makes me LOL (not just on-screen). Here's an excerpt:

Scene: Bridget just arrives at her parent's friends New Year's party...

"...Come on, let's get you a drink. How's your love-life, anyway?"

Oh God. Why can't married people understand that this is no longer a polite question to ask? We wouldn't rush up to them and roar, "How's your marriage going? Still having sex?" Everyone knows that dating in your thirties is not the happy-go-lucky free-for-all it was when you were twenty-two and that the honest answer is more likely to be, "Actually, last night my married lover appeared wearing suspenders and a darling little Angora crop-top, told me he was gay/a sex addict/a narcotic addict/a commitment phobic and beat me up with a dildo," than "Super, thanks".

And that's only page 11!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me your thoughts! I love to hear from followers and readers :)