About Me

My photo
The 'B' List. A look at the beautiful things in life. This blog is devoted to that list. Join me on the journey, why don't you?

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Personally, I Blame my Fairy Godmother...

I've finished one book on the list - Personally, I Blame my Fairy Godmother... by Claudia Carroll. Now, I've been a huge fan of Carroll's for several years, having read Do you want to know a Secret? and Remind me again why I need a man. Those were both fabulous books, but this one really takes the cake. Personally, I Blame my Fairy Godmother stars Jessie Woods, an Irish t.v. presenter who "has it all", but gets everything taken away from her - her job, her boyfriend, her home. Broke and with no options left, she has to move back home with her stepmother and two "evil" stepsisters, who basically make her life a living hell. Until, things take an interesting turn...

Every time I read one of Carroll's books I cannot put it down, and this was no exception. I even dreamt about the characters one night! Even though it's a twist on the Cinderella story, it still held my interest and wasn't too predictable; I also love how Carroll crafts characters that stay with you long after you finish the book. I'm not sure why she isn't more well-known in North America, but I can certainly tell you, with her and Keyes, Irish chick-lit authors are fast moving to the top of my to-be-read pile!

Out of chick lit as a whole, I tended more towards British novels, as I loved the settings (London) and the characters seemed more interesting than the North American ones. This might just be because I love everything British, but what do you think? Do you notice a major difference between North American and U.K. chick lit? If so, which do you prefer?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me your thoughts! I love to hear from followers and readers :)