About Me

My photo
The 'B' List. A look at the beautiful things in life. This blog is devoted to that list. Join me on the journey, why don't you?

Friday, June 24, 2011

Sidetracked a bit...

I haven't started on my chick-lit book for this week; I've just gotten more and more sidetracked with day-to-day life. Proposal reference writing, choosing wedding flowers, writing thank-you cards (from the first bridal shower) and going to the gym are all competing for my time and attention. Then, one of the cats was a bit sick and had to go to the animal hospital :(

But actually I have been reading; it's just not one of the chick-lits, and it's on my Kobo (which I don't use enough) so I'm glad I'm getting some use out of it now. The book is The Jungle by Upton Sinclair (if you have a Kobo ereader, you can download it for free), and though it was published at the turn of the 20th century, it still hits home. Boy, if you thought you had a bad day, or were going through some hard times, read a bit of this book. It will put everything in perspective.

The Jungle follows the lives of working class Lithuanian immigrants in Chicago's meatpacking district in 1904. This is during a time of unions, but also rampant unemployment, corruption, crime and poverty. The class distinctions and gaps between the rich and the poor are far-reaching, and it is a time of broken dreams and ideals of what it means to live in a free country.

I'm about 70-75% through it, and it is really compelling. The sad thing is, although there has been great changes, some things have stayed the same, especially when it comes to unskilled labour. Even more weird, a book I read a few years ago - Fast food Nation - which came out in 2001, pretty much details the same working conditions when it comes to the meatpacking and fast-food industry. The parallels are uncanny (injuries, pay, the fast-pace of production, even the way the system operates). It seems like there has been little change in some respects in a century.

I'm sure I will get back to my chick lit, but this read is a nice change. And reading on the Kobo is not too bad; I'm going to have to do a post soon about ebooks v.s. paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me your thoughts! I love to hear from followers and readers :)