About Me

My photo
The 'B' List. A look at the beautiful things in life. This blog is devoted to that list. Join me on the journey, why don't you?

Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Wedding Girl

Keeping on the wedding theme, this week's read was The Wedding Girl by Madeleine Wickham (a.k.a Sophie Kinsella). I have read almost all of Sophie Kinsella's books (except the last few Shopaholic books) and I love her humorous writing style. I knew that she wrote books previously under her real name, Madeleine Wickham, but I've only ever read Cocktails for Three (and from what I remember it was pretty good). So I thought I'd try another one of hers.

The Wedding Girl focuses on Milly, who had a quickie marriage at 18, in order to help her friend stay in the country. But now she's 28, and with her friend long forgotten, she is ready to marry the love of her life, Simon. Although, with only a few days to go to the wedding, technically, she's still married. Isn't she?

What I had to get past initially is the feeling that Sophie Kinsella would be writing the novel; I guess this is why writers sometimes use pen names - to write in different styles and voices. The book is definitely enjoyable and a page-turner, but Madeleine writes a bit darker and is not as humorous as Sophie. Also, it was at times confusing jumping to and from the point of view's of different characters, but this did help keep a bit of a mystery about the story.

Overall, I would recommend this book; I have another one of Wickham's (The Gatecrasher) on my list as well. However, that will have to wait, as my library book came in(!!!!) so I've got a three-week loan on Summer and the City (sequel to the Carrie Diaries), which I mentioned in a post from last year, and absolutely loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me your thoughts! I love to hear from followers and readers :)