About Me

My photo
The 'B' List. A look at the beautiful things in life. This blog is devoted to that list. Join me on the journey, why don't you?

Friday, February 10, 2012

Alert! Alert! Glossybox is here!!!

The first-ever Glossybox in Canada has arrived! Yay! I did not look at other unboxings until I got my own, because I wanted the first to be a super-surprise, and only after I scoured through mine did I look at others. There definitely were some different items so if you got a glossybox this month, you may not have the same items I do. Spoiler Alert! Let's unbox and talk, shall we?

The box it's shipped in.
The glossybox.
The box is a creamy light pink, and feels really sturdy and decadent (I didn't think a paper box could be so nice!) Definitely can reuse this to put jewelery, trinkets in, etc.

Pretty black envelope that is personalized!
All wrapped up in a bow!
What's inside the envelope.
Inside the personalized envelope is the welcome/product card, two product information booklets and labels for my glossybox. I'm actually not too sure what to do with the labels though; maybe I'm missing something?

The haul.
In this month's box there was five main products and a sixth bonus product (well, technically two bonuses). Let's take a closer look at each.

AHAVA body lotion
From the product card: "AHAVA is created with the many benefits of the Dead Sea. The Mineral Body Lotion contains aloe vera, natural moisturizers, and minerals that glide over your skin and wrap your body in moisture all day long".

I had already received an AHAVA hand cream from a previous Glymm box, so I was semi-familiar with the line (I also know from other blogs that some people got the hand cream in this month's glossybox). It is made in Israel and a regular size retails for $28.00 (250 ml). The sample size was 40 ml. Not bad. I am a body lotion fanatic, and since I have very dry skin, I need to use it everyday. I found the scent of this to be nice and light, but the cream was a bit too runny for me, and I had to put on A LOT to get my skin moisturized. So, I'm not sure this is great for my dry skin, but those with normal skin types may find it is the right consistency.

Moisture Stick by Elizabeth Grant
From the card: "This Moisturizing Stick is a highly moisturizing balm that leaves your lips feeling soft and hydrated and is a great compliment to the At Last Lipstains."

My sample looks full size, but it says 3.5 grams on the stick and on the product card 5 grams is considered full-size ($12.00 retail value). No matter - it is still a really good size. I have heard of Elizabeth Grant before; she is constantly on the Shopping Channel and makes a lot of anti-aging products that many people seem to swear by. I do like this moisture stick, if for nothing else it is a soft, light, colourless balm that looks elegant (and not like the natty lip smacker I hide in my purse).

Wella Shampoo
The card says: "Wella Professionals Brilliance Shampoo helps to enhance the radiance of coloured hair. This light shampoo leaves even fine hair full of vitality and shine with diamond dust!"

I say: now this is where Glossybox got it right. So many times we fill out the beauty profiles, all get the same boxes and basically wonder if they read the profiles. In this case, they obviously did, as I have very fine hair and this is a shampoo tailor-made for it. I tried it out and it has a great scent and does leave my hair full of body. This sample is 50 ml and a regular size (300ml) retails for $13.99, so I might consider getting this again.


Oscar de la Renta's Live in Love
The bottle
From the card: "Live in Love is the newest Oscar de la Renta fragrance. This green floral embodies the love that today's woman has for everything in her life, created for women by a man that adores them...Oscar."

This is again where some boxes differ - others I saw have the body lotion of this scent. The perfume doesn't lie when it says it is a 'green floral' - literally, it is like rolling around in the grass. I don't know just yet if it is the kind of romantic, tumbling down a grassy hill in the summer sunshine, or falling facedown in a clump of wet grass after you trip. But, it is kind of growing on me, so ask me what I think next week. This sample is 4 ml and the full size is 30 ml for $62.

Prevage Day Cream by Elizabeth Arden
The cream (such a lovely picture - all whipped and fresh)
The card: "Elizabeth Arden Prevage Day Anti-Aging Restorative Cream helps to fight the visible effects of environmental damage and enhances skin's natural moisture."

Again, this is where I feel like my preferences were taken into consideration (but I also saw that many other boxes got this, so who knows?) My face is extremely dry, and I need a thick, creamy cream to get me through the day and night. This one does that, and it has spf 30, which is great. I don't even mind the anti-aging, as I do see sun damage and fine lines around my eyes and cheekbones. So bring it on, creamy cream. HOWEVER, this cream is definitely not for everyone. Those with oily skin will hate it, as it will only make their skin more oily. Also, if you have sensitive skin, it might cause a rash. But for the size that came in this box, I am extremely happy; it will last for awhile, and that's good, 'cause I can't afford the price tag of the regular size (50ml for $160; in the box was a 7 ml sample). Still, that's a sample worth over $20!

Beauty so Clean Sanitizing Mist
Beauty so Clean Sanitizing Wipes
Bonus Time! From the card: "The convenient and effective Beauty So Clean Cosmetic Sanitizer Wipes sanitize makeup, removing bacteria in 10 seconds! The Cosmetic Sanitizer Mist removes bacteria and germs on powder-based and cream-based products".

These are the only items in the box I haven't tried, and when I do, I don't know if I will be able to tell a difference. Sure, I will know that bacteria has been killed, but will it make my product perform better? Possibly - I can see the wipes helping a lot for mascara wands and lipsticks, but I'm not sure about the spray - I've never really had a problem with germy powder before. They also have a third product - the Conditioning Brush Cleaner, which is not included, but I would have liked to try, as I find the liquid soap I use to clean my brushes a bit too harsh. With the information booklet that comes in the box, there is also a discount code for 20% off Beauty So Clean which is nice if you wish to purchase. I received four wipe samples (retails for $12.50/48 pack) and an 8 ml sample of the mist (full size is 125 ml for $15.99).

Overall, I am quite happy with my first Glossybox. The amount of product exceeded the purchase price (technically 7 products!) and the brands were good. My favorites were probably the shampoo, Moisture Stick and face cream, and at this time I would probably only purchase the shampoo (if the face cream just wasn't so expensive!) I saw that some other boxes contained Essie polish, which is awesome because Essie is just fab but I wasn't too bummed about because I just got my Julep box at the beginning of the week.

If you got a Glossybox, what was in yours? Thoughts on the products?

(If you'd like to join me on my beauty box journey, click here to sign up for Glossybox. $15/month, all taxes and shipping included).

8 comments:

  1. Waaa! I'm still waiting for mine! But I couldn't help peeking. Yours looks great, hope mines here Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! Love your description of the perfume, it made me lol! I'm hoping to get my box this week. I am looking forward to trying out the shampoo, lip balm and Prevage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Christine - Can't wait to see your review and what you got in your box!

    @saskmom - Let me know how you like your box and what you think of the items! The Prevage is definitely a deal, but only if your skin type is right for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you just got lucky in how well-suited the shampoo/cream were to your needs. They did not take our beauty profiles into account when sending the boxes out as everyone got the same stuff (except the press boxes which got a full size Essie polish and a 50ml lotion). I got the exact same shampoo but I have thick and natural hair (not fine or colour treated). I also have acne prone skin, and got the same heavy cream you did. If I used it, I would break out like mad! I am glad the box contents suited your needs. Sadly I can't say the same :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I received the same as you (not the press kit with the 2 full size products). See my review at lookinsidemycloset.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Canadian Beauty - you're right, when I opened the box I thought, score! The products were actually suited to my needs! But then I saw a couple other posts where the users said they didn't need anti-aging cream or didn't have fine hair. I thought for sure at least the Wella would be individualized, since they included the pamphlet in the box with all their other products and they do have a thicker hair formula. They should have included samples of that accordingly. Thanks for bringing this up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Look Inside My Closet - great review! I subscribed to your blog! Did you use the prevage? What did you think?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you got some amazing stuff!
    - divya

    ReplyDelete

Leave me your thoughts! I love to hear from followers and readers :)