About Me

My photo
The 'B' List. A look at the beautiful things in life. This blog is devoted to that list. Join me on the journey, why don't you?

Friday, February 24, 2012

February Glymm unboxing

My February Glymm box finally arrived and I couldn't wait to open it. Then, I looked at other blogger's unboxings to compare. So let's have a peek...

The shipping box
The Glymm box inside
How it's boxed up inside

The product card (sorry it's blurry)

What it looks like upon removing the product card
The goods
First we have Sula eyeshadow.

The shadow
The card reads: "Keep your eyes looking flirty fresh with this trendy, easy-to-use Sula Beauty shadow. Enjoy playfully pretty eye shadow in gorgeous colours. They're long lasting, easy to blend and made with natural ingredients".

The colour I received is He Loves Me, a very light and sheer cream shimmer shadow.



The swatch
As you can see on my hand, it is a barely-there light pink sheen, which is not bad, since many days I only wear light shadow and then do liner and mascara. The shimmer is not too bad either since it is light. I haven't owned a cream shadow in awhile, so it is a nice change, but if I want it to last I will have to use a concealer or primer base on my eyes first. It retails for $8, we got the full size in our boxes this month.

Next is Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balm.

The package (cardboard)
The colour (Tiger Lily)
The card: "This tinted lip balm by Burt's Bees gives your lips a hint of colour with a soft sweet flavour. It was also voted Best New Lip Product by Consumers. It's made with natual ingredients that moisturize and condition your lips. This stuff really is the 'balm'".

Again with the 'natural ingredients'. Apparenly, that doesn't really mean anything significant in the beauty world- as what consitutes 'natural'? In any case, this is a pretty nice lip balm. I seemed to be one of the only bloggers I found who like the burt's bees lotion samples from last month, and I like this balm, as it's very moisturizing, but I'm not sure about the colour - it's a bit too red-orange for me. But it's light so it's not a bit deal. Also, what's up with the cardboard tube it came in? Why is the tube needed? In terms of size we received a full size sample in this box ($7.99).

Next is the highlight of the box (according to Glymm) - the Glamglow sample.

The mask
From the card: "Lights, Camera, Action! Designed for Hollywood's entertainment industry, it tingles, tightens & lightens in 15 minutes, so you're always camera-ready. Volcanic rock, French sea clay and real pieces of Green tea leaf will give you super sexy, super radiant skin".

So here's the deal. Glymm gave us a 7 ml sample in our boxes, the retail price for this is $78 for 50 ml. Other bloggers have commented that there is enough in this sample for about two masks if you apply a thinner layer. Glymm also gave us a code to get the full size for only $50 instead of $78 - not a bad savings. In general though, this product is way overpriced. I don't know if Volcanic rock has the same qualities as the mud, but Volcanic mud is actually really good for you - detoxifies your skin and makes it baby-smooth. Glamglow is probably a good product, no doubt. But when my husband and I were in St. Lucia, we went to the volcano and took a mudbath - same kind of stuff there, and came out with amazing skin. And it was free (ok maybe there was a nominal fee to use the baths, I can't remember) and they were shoveling the mud into giant buckets. You could even choose between black or white mud.

At the volcano
That would have been quite an expensive bath if we were using the jars of Glamglow on ourselves! (And if you just happen to be in St. Lucia, make sure to detor to the volcano for a bit and get a whole body mud detox!)

The last product in this month's box is Mai Couture's 2-1 Oil Blotting Bronzing Papier.

The card
The papers attached to the card
The card reads: "Beauty on-the-go? Mai Couture has the solution. This lightly powdered bronzing paper eliminates oil and gives your complexion a shimmery glow. No need to worry about carrying your makeup bag and brushes around with you all day. Grab a 'papier' and keep your face flawless".
I am not so sure about this product. The full size cost is $24 for 100 sheets, and like others were mentioning on blogs and facebook, we only received 2 sheets. Glymm said that can be used four times, but I feel like we should have received about 5 or 6 to properly test it. Having said that, I'm not a huge fan of shimmy face powders. They make you have a shiny forehead, nose and chin and it settles into fine lines. So I will try it but it will take a lot to make me convert from regular blotting papers that I occasionally use.

Overall the February box was ok. What I've noticed in the three months that I've received Glymm is that I generally like the products, but we tend to get full sizes of the cheaper, less 'luxe' brands. The more expensive brands we mainly get much smaller sizes with the incentive to buy the full size. That's fine as many people sign up for the boxes to try new things and find favorites, but I want to make a more luxe brand a favorite before I'd buy the full size - thus pack larger sample sizes.

So this month I think out of my box subscriptions Luxe Box was my personal favorite, followed by Glossybox and then Glymm - for the main reason that the other boxes gave us larger, more deluxe samples of a variety of products. I am not counting my Julep box in the running as it was my intro box and going forward I get to see what will be in it and change it if I don't like it - which is different than how the others operate.

Did you get a Glymm box this month? What did you think?

If you want to join me on me beauty box journey, you can sign up for Glymm here. 10/month + taxes.

9 comments:

  1. Nice to see a post from someone who was sorta satisfied with Glymm's box this month :) I have yet to receive mine but I already know what to expect based on me snooping on everyone elses reviews!!

    I agree that Glymm tends to give full size of the less luxe brands (exception is the Cargo eyeliner)...I mean, it makes sense, and they aren't expected to even give us full size anything, so it's nice when they do.

    But I also don't think they have been consistently giving us deluxe sized samples that they've promised (like the blotting papers). I'm also not sure if they've been consistent in providing "luxury" items - do you think Burts Bees falls in that category? Or NYX (from previous boxes)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BTW, hi! :) I came here after seeing your post on Glymm's facebook page!

      Delete
    2. @hello.happiness - I know, the temptation to look at the unboxings before you get your own usually wins out! I did love the Cargo eyeliner, so that was definitely a bonus.

      I don't think Burt's Bees falls into the 'luxe' category, they seem to be more of a mass-brand even though they have relatively good products. I'm not sure about NYX - possibly they are more luxe.

      But I do agree about the blotting papers - I'm sure if these were sold at Sephora and you wanted to try them out you could get a few more sheets then what was in the box!

      Delete
  2. Love your subscription box reviews...I received the same boxes and liked my Luxe Box the most too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ProvincialBudgetBeauty - thanks so much! I am excited to see what will happen to the boxes in the coming months - if Luxe will still be first on my list!

      Delete
  3. I haven't gotten my Glymm box yet although according to CP, I should have received it today...I agree that the last couple of Glymm boxes have been alright and that the "luxe" factor has been missing from the samples we've been getting. Based on the luxe factor for this month, I'd probably say Luxe Box was up at the top for me as well. I haven't done my review for Topbox yet, but I'd say Topbox and Glymm are tied for this month. Loved the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Jayne - thanks! I can't wait 'till my topbox subscription starts in June. Some people were actually shipped two topboxes which is definitely lucky for them, but considering there are so many people on the wait list for them, they should probably streamline their shipping system.

      Glymm said they would ship out a week later than the 10th, but the delivery tracking isn't always accurate - I certainly got mine later than the tracking system said.

      Delete
  4. Ooh! I really want to try the Mai Couture sheets. I'm iffy on the bronzer sheets but I heard a lot of great things about the blush papers xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw how some people got the blush sheets and I thought I'd like to try that more as well! I just don't know how I feel about sparkly bronze shimmer all over my face - if it will be too shiny or look fake or what have you. The blush seems a bit more subtle and workable.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me your thoughts! I love to hear from followers and readers :)