About Me

My photo
The 'B' List. A look at the beautiful things in life. This blog is devoted to that list. Join me on the journey, why don't you?

Monday, April 23, 2012

April Glymm Box Review

I've had my April Glymm box for over a week now but wanted to try out a few of the products before I gave my review. So let's get to it!

The shipping container
The outside box changed this month, it used to be a pink box, now it is a white box with the Glymm name on it in pink.

The box
The inner box is the same this month...let's open it up!

Upon opening the box
Spring theme I see for April (fitting).

The product descriptions on the back of the card



Inside
Upon opening the box, I'd like to mention that there was a very pleasant smell - soft, fruity and feminine. It is exactly the kind of luxe smell I want for these boxes. I've been reading lately about a lot of the American beauty boxes and MyGlam apparently has a serious problem with their bags and products smelling like industrial chemicals (ugh!) That is not what you want to hit your nose when you open a sample box; it would put you off using the products inside.

Underneath the cards
 This month in the Glymm box there was 4 items plus a discount card...let's go through each.

Free Your Mane Shampoo and Conditioner
The first item here is Free Your Mane Sulfate Free Hydrating Shampoo and Conditioner sample packets.

The card reads: "'I'm sorry, I can't make it, gotta wash my hair.' You will totally use this line after trying this shampoo and conditioner. It gently cleanses hair and scalp while natural oils help rebuild your hair's delicate moisture balance. With an exclusive blend of Brilliant Baobab Oil from Africa, ultra-moisturising Argan Oil from Morocco, anti-oxidant rich Pomegranate Seed Oil and Sweet Almond Oil it will truly Free Your Mane". The full size bottles retail for $16 (300 ml); I received 7.4 ml packs for both the shampoo and conditioner.

This is the only product I have not yet tried, but I will update when I do. It looks like there is enough for at least 2 uses, but that is for me - it depends how much hair you have. What some other bloggers mentioned is the packaging, and in this respect I agree - it would be much more convenient to have little bottles instead (kind of like the Wella sample in the February Glossybox). But I do like that this is a new-to-me brand; if this were packets from say, Herbal Essence, I would feel cheated.

Lucia soap
Next item is Lucia soap in No. 6 - Wild Ginger and Fresh Fig.

The card says: "These refined jewels are packed with pure botanical extracts and enriched with 100% certified organic Shea Butter. Not only will your skin feel silky-soft, it will also be thoroughly cleansed and smelling so seductive. Go ahead, drape yourself in luxury, you know you want to. Signature scents include: Goat's Milk & Linseed and Wild Ginger & Fresh Fig". For the full size, a package of 8 soaps goes for $17.50; I received a guest sized soap (25 grams).

I don't use soap in the shower, because no matter how moisturising it claims to be, my skin is always tight and dry afterwards. So I'm using this as a hand soap, and truthfully, it's really nice. It has a light, fresh scent and is actually very creamy. This is exactly this kind of soap I would love to be putting in the bathroom for guests.

Atelier postcard and fragrance sample
Another shot of sample

Next product is the Atelier fragrance sample in "Orange Sanguine".

The card reads: "Atelier Cologne is a niche perfume house based in Paris and New York. Each scent is intended to embody a 'singular moment' of memory and experience. We present to you Orange Sanguine. 'It was the kind of moment you would want to revisit. Everyone was here, gathered on the terrace for breakfast, and the scent of fresh oranges was diffusing in the yellow heat. A symphony of their laughter and waves hitting the cliffs played in the air'". The full size retails $60 for 30 ml (on Glymm's website) or $165 for 200 ml. I received a small sample (approx. 1.2 ml).

I'm surprised by how much I like this fragrance. At first I thought, "oranges"? but I've used it many times in the past week and I like it more and more each time. I do like how they are trying to create a moment by showing you a scene on the postcard. However, like the shampoo samples, I would have liked this sample to be a bit larger, as I found that Atelier is giving away free samples on their facebook page, just for the asking. If you are going to get this, definitely buy from Glymm's online shop, as on Atelier's website, the fragrance is going for $55 not $60 but shipping is over $70!!!!

Mai Couture Social Gloss in French


Swatch of gloss
The last product is Mai Couture Social gloss in "French".

From the card: "Treat your lips with luxury you simply can't live without. Not only will this gloss fill in unwanted lines and restore moisture but it will create full, kissable lips. Your lips will be healthy and plump. This sheer formula will create a sumptuous and luminous sheen. The secret: A complex mix of plant extracts naturally enhances lip volume effortlessly without the allergen. Your lips will be the life of the party." The full size retails for $28 for 5 ml; I received a full size gloss.

Who comes up with these cards? "Your lips will be the life of the party?" I don't know about that, but in any case, this is a really nice gloss. Mai Couture has redeemed themselves from the shimmery bronzer sheets from a previous box! It is sheer, is lightly scented (reminds me of marshmallow) and is good over lipstick or on it's own. I don't find it sticky either and actually like it a lot better than the Sula lip gloss from the December Glymm box. It reminds me of this Mary Kay gloss I used ages ago that I just loved (I never buy Mary Kay, but I did love that lip gloss!) $28 is a bit steep for a lip product though.

NuMe $100 coupon

The bonus in this month's box is $100 coupon for NuMe. It says it's a gift certificate, but really it's a coupon, as it is only good on extensions (not the feathers from last month's box) and styling tools and these are all over $100. I would have preferred a coupon for the Atelier fragrance but oh well. So this coupon was also received by MyGlam members in a past bag, and I looked up what people bought with it. Many got the Mini flat iron and all the reviews I saw had extremely positive ratings - it heated up quickly, did a thorough job at straightening and was amazing for travel or even just to fit in your purse for touch ups. So I got the mini in the fun zebra print as I was looking for a travel friendly styling tool (and it works with dual voltage so you don't have to be worried about melting your flat iron's plates in another country). After the $100 coupon it was $15, plus $15 for shipping. So not bad for a flat iron. I heard that these irons sold at Winners for a comparable price, but at the very least I got the size I was looking for and didn't spend a heck of a lot more.

Overall, this was not a bad box for me, I liked discovering the Atelier fragrance and Mai Couture gloss the most, and was happy to receive a NuMe discount card. However, this box would have really benefited from   larger sample sizes - perhaps small bottles for the shampoo and if that's not possible then a couple of the packets; two of the guest sized soaps would have been fab and a slightly larger, more deluxe fragrance would have made this box really great for me. But again, I do like Glymm as they consistently introduce me to new products that I would have never heard of if I didn't subscribe to the box.

What about you? Did you like this month's box? What did you think of the products/sample sizes?

If you'd like to join me on my beauty box journey, you can sign up for Glymm here. $10/month plus taxes (shipping included). Box is currently available only in Canada. 

7 comments:

  1. thanks for your review! most people seem not to have loved glymm's box this month, although I've seen worse. I think the price of the lipgloss is ridiculous! who pays that much in real life, I wonder? especially since that is not a completely well-known or renowned brand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - have you seen the Beauty Box 5 reviews this month? Eeek, doesn't look good; I'll have to see when I get my box. $28 is excessive for gloss - I'm a bit cheap and would think how many glosses I could get at Shoppers for that amount... at least it is a good product!

      Delete
  2. mm can't go wrong with a zebra print flat iron! I like that Glymm includes products/brands I haven't heard of before but sometimes it can be dicey.. your not sure if it is going to be a hit or miss... I'm super impatient for my Glossybox and Luxebox to arrive... they seem to get later and later in the month everytime.. at least Glymm maintains a good shipping date.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am excited for the flat iron I must say! Wouldn't have gotten that if there wasn't a coupon. So far my product experience with Glymm has been very good, it's just I wish for bigger samples from them. Glossy and Luxe need to up their shipping dates - I can't wait 'till the end of each month!

      Delete
  3. I would buy a Lucia product just for the cute packaging! How cute would they be to have waiting for guests?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - I thought about that too - it would be the perfect soap to have on hand when you have guests!

      Delete
  4. Slim pickings in this box.. wow

    I cancelled this box a month or 2 ago -though like to see what I missed or didnt

    ReplyDelete

Leave me your thoughts! I love to hear from followers and readers :)