About Me

My photo
The 'B' List. A look at the beautiful things in life. This blog is devoted to that list. Join me on the journey, why don't you?

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

DIY lip balm workshop with DaLish Cosmetics

Yesterday I battled insane downtown Toronto traffic for the love of cosmetics. In fact, I was going to make my own lip and cheek tints, courtesy of a workshop that DaLish cosmetics was hosting. DaLish is a super nifty Toronto-based cosmetics company, founded and run by Melanie Cruickshank. It is easy to create a look, just swipe, blend and go. I have personally been using their eyeshadows, highlighter and lip glosses for years, and find their products to be exceptional quality with good staying power.

So I when I found out DaLish was offering "create-your-own-lipbalm" workshops, I was on board. Being so  cosmetics and beauty product obsessed, I actually have not tried to make my own products before. I thought it was really difficult and time-consuming. Not so!

Melanie led the workshop and step by step through the process. We melted down several waxes, oils, and vitamin E and then came the fun part - mixing personalized shades and flavours!

Creation station!

Mica powder
Mixing those personalized shades!
Fill 'er up!
This workshop was so much fun, and what I loved the best is that it isn't that difficult to start making your own beauty products - it's actually really enjoyable.

Here's the two shades I made...

This one is called "Face the Day"

This one I named "On the Beach"

Swatch of "Face the Day"
Swatch of  "On the Beach"
I flavoured Face the Day with raspberry (yum!) and On the Beach with a combo of vanilla-butterscotch with a hint of mint. I really love how these colours turned out. They do double duty as they can be used for cheeks too!

Swatch of "Face the Day"

Swatch of "On the Beach"
Now that I know how to make my own lip and cheek tints, I am getting into crafty mode and am going to experiment on my own! Thanks to Melanie for the fabulous workshop and for getting me started on the road to DIY cosmetics. If you're interested in attending one of DaLish cosmetics lip balm classes, message melanie@dalishcosmetics.com for more info.



11 comments:

  1. wow this is awesome! i thought it would take a lot of effort and time but this looks fun :) great job! the colors look amazing (and sound like they smell amazing too). do you think you require a number of tools/materials though?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do smell amazing and wear so well! All you really need is pots to make a double boiler and mixing tools and cups (and of course, a final container to put the lip balm in). Melanie mentioned that these should be only used for cosmetic-making, so old pots/pans and glasses will do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Margo! It was so great having you.

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Melanie! It was a lot of fun - and I'm excited about sourcing materials and making my own at home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like so much fun! This would be a great girls night out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. girls night outs, bachelorettes, or just any excuse to get together and create your own cosmetics!

      Delete
  6. Wow that is such a fantastic idea wish I lived closer to Toronto!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there's always something going on in the city - and the traffic proves it! Summer construction doesn't help- I'm glad I wasn't too late to the workshop :)

      Delete
  7. wow, these look fabulous! You're a professional! :) I'd love to try but I don't know how many more hours I could squeeze in a day..work gets in the way of my real life. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol - yeah, work. Blogging does feel like a second job at times, but it's a really fun one!

      Delete
    2. This I definitely agree with! :)

      Delete

Leave me your thoughts! I love to hear from followers and readers :)