About Me

My photo
The 'B' List. A look at the beautiful things in life. This blog is devoted to that list. Join me on the journey, why don't you?

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Coastal Scents Mystery Box

I have been meaning to try out Coastal Scents for awhile now. Their eyeshadow palettes have always gotten great reviews, and overall they have great price points (and sales every week). So when they came out with their Mystery Box a few weeks ago, I thought I'd order one to try out the brand and see what it's like.

The Mystery Box cost $19.95 and it says it will have a $50 product value and the contents can include: brushes, makeup and other products. I also paid $8.30 for shipping and handling to Canada.

What's inside?
It came super-quick - only just over a week after ordering and that's great for a company based in the U.S.

Upon opening the box
First set of brushes
This box came with A LOT of brushes. (I mentioned in my Topbox post that I wouldn't be getting the Expressions brush kit - here's why). In the first set there is a classic blush brush ($6.95), a classic stippling brush ($6.95) and a hot pink kabuki brush (4.99). I actually like these brushes quite a bit; the handle is a good weight and the bristles are soft.

Second set of brushes
In the second set is a travel brush kit (powder, blush, various shadow, liner and eyebrow). Total of 7 brushes in a black bag. [I can't find the retail value for this item but there is a similar set (minus one brush) on their site that goes for $24.95]. This is a nice set as the brushes are of good quality like the first set and the bag itself is handy - on the side is a zippered pouch where you can put cosmetics so it could act as an all-in-one makeup bag for travel. I also like how the pouch is made of water-resistant material. I don't really have a travel brush set and this is a nice one I can see myself using. (BTW, all of the brushes came wrapped in plastic sleeves; I just took them off for the pictures).

3 mineral blushes
Also included in the mystery box was 3 mineral blushes in Sheer Natural, Essence and Sheer Radiance (2 grams each) (Not sure of the price point on this either - they go for $9.95 each on the site for full size - if this is not full size it is close).

Swatch of the blushes
From L to R: Sheer Natural, Essence and Sheer Radiance. They are all nice; Sheer Radiance is is like a hint of copper-bronze (can also be used as a finishing powder); Essence is darker and better for dramatic looks and Sheer Natural is light enough to be used as a highlighter.

Jar of Sterling Glitter
This was one product I wasn't expecting - it's a huge jar of cosmetic-grade sterling glitter. (Not certain of the retail value on this item). After taking a look at it, I realized it would be fun to experiment and mix into some loose mineral shadows I have. I bet I could also use this in nailpolish. Any other suggestions for uses for this glitter? It will last me a long time, that's for sure!

Soap Sample
Also included was a sample of their African Black Soap (full size goes for $3.95 - this looks like maybe 1/3 of full size). It is made with Coconut Oil and Shea Butter and I am excited to try this - this line of soaps and skin care products always gets great reviews for their calming and moisturizing properties and these products are made by a co-op in Ghana.

Fun sticker and eyeshadow sample
Last we have a couple extras - Coastal Scents cards, a sample mineral shadow in Aqua Zone, and a really fun "I heart Makeup" sticker (is it weird that I just love this sticker? It sums up my beauty product obsession!)

So overall, even though I expected more makeup and am somewhat disappointed that I didn't get an eyeshadow palette, I am still pretty pleased with this box. The value is there and I only rarely buy myself brushes. I don't have a whole lot in my makeup arsenal, (or a good travel kit) that's why I welcome these brushes. They are so soft and really nice to hold. I like the blushes and can see myself especially reaching for Sheer Natural quite a bit (for contouring and highlighting). The glitter was unexpected for sure, but it can be added to products I already have for nighttime looks. And I was curious to try the soap after reading about the whole Project Ghana on the site, and now I have a sample of it.

Of course, not everyone will welcome a mystery box like this, especially those that want loads of makeup. Judging from the different reviews I've seen on blogs and You Tube, people seem to either love these boxes or hate them. If you are thinking about getting a box, just be aware that you are almost certain to get a bunch of brushes so if you have no use for them then this box wouldn't be for you. But besides brushes, I've seen people also get eyeshadow quads as well as makeup bags, eyeliner (pencil and liquid) and false lashes. It's the luck of the makeup draw; the spin of the beauty roulette wheel I guess ;)

What do you think of this box?

19 comments:

  1. I like the box you get.. and I adore the sticker!!! I am not sure where I would stick it but it is soo cute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing is I think you get that sticker with any order and it's probably like the cheapest thing in the box, but I saw it couldn't believe it! It's so perfect :)

      Delete
  2. I just posted what I got in my mystery box! onyxandmick.blogspot.ca
    Lots of brushes but I did get a make up palette like I wanted :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just checked out your post - that is a really nice palette you received!

      Delete
  3. that is a lot of brushes! how do you like the stippling brush? i just recently fell in love with the one from Walmart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stippling brush is my fave brush in the box - it is soft and deposits product really well. The handle is looong :) and easy to control.

      Delete
  4. I should not have read this post..
    I just order one as I need brushes. I hope I get a box similar to yours.

    You are a bad influence on my bank account. (kidding)
    First QVC, then Beauty Box 5 and now this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely receive some brushes as every unboxing I saw had some sort of brush combination in the box, as well as a few other products. Let me know what you got when it arrives!!!

      These subs are sure addictive - my QVC test tube has shipped and I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival.

      Delete
  5. I am ordering mine today -

    They have a deal spend $12 get $25 to spend at Coastal Scents.

    http://www.livingsocial.com/deals/439247?rpi=76704078&ref=personalized-link-box-76704078&rui=100800583

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I'm totally getting this deal for my next order - am waiting until the Metal Mania palette goes on sale ;)

      Delete
  6. Its a amazing deal - I believe you can save the coupon for 5 yrs.. so lots of time to spend. If you haven't gotten the deal.. its ends in 1 day.

    Never heard of this company until today.. So I look forward to the mystery box I will be getting. Since I have cancelled all the Canadian box's , thought I'd give it a try at this price can't go wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They didn't nail you on duty did they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do a post when you get your box! (Excited to see what's in it). I didn't get duty on this box.

      Delete
    2. I will post box as soon as I receive it. No duty good :)

      Delete
  8. Wow- Got my box real fast

    Here is the link http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=1712058692440172384#editor/target=post;postID=6511380418565405999

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - Coastal Scents ships really quick! I just got another order from them today - lightning speed it came! I'll do a post about it soon. Your mystery box is so great; it's making me think I should get another ;)

      Delete
  9. Did you got to the LouLou Joe Fresh Party yesterday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, this week has been crazy-busy - I hate missing a good party though!

      Delete

Leave me your thoughts! I love to hear from followers and readers :)