About Me

My photo
The 'B' List. A look at the beautiful things in life. This blog is devoted to that list. Join me on the journey, why don't you?

Friday, September 28, 2012

New Sub! Starbox by Starlooks - September box



What did I replace my old pal, Glymm with? A full-on makeup box - Starbox by Starlooks. This box started a few months ago and I've been watching the unboxings - Plumpish Beauty has a couple good ones. I decided to get this box as it primarily sends makeup, and subscribers have said such good things about the company and customer service.

Starbox is $15/month (with a small shipping charge - for Canada it was $4.50 I think). Each box contains 3-4 full size makeup/beauty products each month. If you are in the U.S. you can sign up via their website but if you are international, you have to call or email them to place your subscription order. (And if you subscribe make sure you mention that CityGirl sent you!)

Starbox sends makeup and beauty items produced by their parent company, Starlooks. They also have a webstore to purchase their full line of products (on their site they say that their formulas are comparable to MAC products).You can also get past month's Starboxes on the site (those go for $25, though).

Ready to see what I got in my first Starbox?

Love the retro logo!

Inside the box
I love the theme for this months box - "Running with Wolves" and it's all about the eyes. Heck, I love that Starlooks does a theme for each month's box in general! The theme is released before the box as a hint and so people can get excited! They have a looksbook for each month on their website, as well as a video (click here for the September video). The creator of Starlooks, Marci, even has a video on the items in the September box, the box theme, the reasons why these products were chosen and a how-to on use!

First item ...

Starlooks clear eyeshadow primer
A full-size clear eyeshadow primer! Very cool. Can't find the value of this online - but if it's compared to a single eyeshadow, those run for $9 each. This definitely complements the second item in the box, which is...

Starlooks 5-shade monographic eyeshadow palette
A full size eye palette! This retails for $30 on the Starlooks website. The shades in this palette are opalescent  and look quite pretty when swatched.

Natural light
Indoor light
The colours are actually quite distinguishable from each other when swatched (from L to R: yellow, white, pink, blue-purple, green) and have a pastel finish to opalescent depending upon the light. I actually don't own shades like this - they are perfect as a base or for highlighting. Speaking of highlighting...

Eye Jewels 
A fun extra that was included in this month's box - opal and champagne Swarovski eye crystals! These are supposed to be applied with lash glue - either to the lash base of at the corners of eyes for a bit of evening glamour.

Quartz Crystals
Starlooks includes these crystals in every box. Why? According to the product card, "These crystals attract energy, help maintain focus, and are the ultimate symbol of beauty! We hope you collect them in a glass jar to create a brush holder.." This is a neat idea and a fun little extra.

And that's this month's Starbox! I am pretty darn happy with it and am excited for future months!


17 comments:

  1. What a great box! Definitely a good deal since that palette paid for the box twice over. I replaced my Glymm subscription by signing back up with GlossyBox. Im so excited I will be receving the September box with the NYX Palette!

    :)Chelsey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely jealous over that palette you'll be getting - makes me want to reconsider Glossybox! I am quite happy with the palette in this box, since I like the effect and don't have colours quite like this.

      Delete
  2. Interesting box - thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurray, welcome to the starboxers :) I do like the quality of their makeup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've heard a lot of good things about the quality; that is very important, otherwise, what's the point of a makeup box that you don't want to use!

      Delete
  4. Oh I am hoping that this will be my box too. I am anxiously awaiting it. Nice to see that this box paid for itself. I really like this idea of a BEAUTY box and actually a box with make up. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it should be. All the unboxings I saw have this great combination - so watch your mailbox!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I know, I'm always so excited about new subs!

      Delete
  6. preeeettttty! i love the name of this month's theme too :) the eyeshadow primer and the pastel eyeshadows look really nice. i picked up some pastel colored eyeshadows recently and they dont seem as pigmented but yours are distinguishable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a really cool name I agree! I wore 2 of the shadows on the weekend, and they are quite pigmented and give kind of a shimmery, ethereal look.

      Delete
  7. this is my second box (just reviewed it on my bloggity too!) and i was pretty happy with it. i am VERY excited for the masquerade themed box this month. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh - I'm going to check out your review. I know! I saw the masquerade theme and squealed! Looks like fun. And the November box is customizable!

      Delete
  8. I think I'm one of the few that wasn't really happy with this box... everything is so...pale. lol. I'm trying to love it because I do love the company..did you see the birthday promo they're doing..wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Starlooks did a post where the palette can be layered over dark shadows - maybe give that a try? I did see the birthday promo - too bad I have to wait 'till June! Wah! I'll be looking for spoilers on that for people that have fall birthdays.

      Delete

Leave me your thoughts! I love to hear from followers and readers :)