About Me

My photo
The 'B' List. A look at the beautiful things in life. This blog is devoted to that list. Join me on the journey, why don't you?

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

September The Natural Beauty Box

This is a relatively new beauty box and I decided to test it out. The Natural Beauty Box is Canadian, they ship worldwide and the box ranges from $15-20/month, depending on the subscription you choose. One month is $20 +tax, a six month subscription is $18/month +tax ($108) and a twelve month sub is $15.75/month +tax ($189). All prices are in USD and shipping is included. I love the fact that if you purchase the one month subscription you are not automatically charged for subsequent months - you just purchase whenever you want a box and that's the option I chose.

They say that each box will be filled with 10-15 deluxe samples, (no foil samples), there won't be repeats month to month and the samples are 95%-100% natural. Like Glymm, they have a webstore where products from the box can be purchased, often at a discount. Ready to see what's inside this month?

Upon opening the box
The Natural Beauty Box comes in a lovely decorative bag (this is the kind of bag Glymm should use, so we're not stuck with a bunch of tiny cosmetic bags)

I love the little Velcro tab on the bag - too cute!
All the goodies this month
According to the very detailed and informative product sheet; I received 13 samples worth a total of $107.10. That's pretty good! Before I go through the products, I did want to mention that upon opening the box, a very distinct smell was in the bag - I believe it is witch hazel, but it is VERY strong and slightly irritated my nose. I remember when I was a kid, my mother would sometimes take me to this health food store, and that store smelled exactly like this bag. It is a pungent odour - kind of medicine-y - it does make me think of health foods and products, but I remember being overwhelmed by it as a kid and now I'm overwhelmed by it again in this bag. Not sure if this scent will be present in every bag, but just wanted to let my readers know!


From L to R: First is Delizio Skincare Watermelon & CoQ10 Face Mask. Like the one I got in the Fortune Cookie Soap box, you just add a teaspoon to a base like yoghurt, sour cream, aloe or even water. This mask is good for 10 uses! That's definitely a deluxe sample. 

At the top is Dr. Emerald Natural Hand Sanitizer (full size). Pretty darn cool; I've never tried a natural hand sanitizer before. It does have witch hazel though, so will see how my nose tolerates it.

Below that is Dr. Emerald Natural Anti-Microbial Hand Soap in Forest Dew - this is good because I do like to use anti-bac soap especially in the kitchen.

Below that is Temptations Bath n' Body Lime in da Coconut Body Spray. This smells EXACTLY like Coconut Lime - sooo good!

At the bottom is Shea Terra Whipped Shea Butter Cream - my sample is in Gingered Pumpkin. Awesome fall scent and I love shea butter, very rich and creamy.

Then towards the top is Dr. Emerald Hair Restoration Spray - it's supposed to add strength and volume. Cool concept, but will have to see because of the witch hazel (I'm getting the impression that Dr. Emerald and witch hazel are BFF's!)

Last of this group is Natural Luxury - Relax and Relieve Stress Bath Tea. It's a tea bag for the bath - this smells like orange lavender - yummy!


From L to R: Kitty Kosmetics Red Raspberries Natural Soap Heart. Very cute!

To the right is Natural Luxury Rejuvenating and Nourishing Under Eye Serum (full size - worth $32!) I read a review on this and it's supposed to rock - getting rid of puffiness and bags, but again, lot's o' witch hazel, so I'll have to see if I can tolerate it.

Below that is Petal Organics - Glow and Shine Face Primer. Never tried a natural primer before!

At the top is Ferro Cosmetics Desert Rose Blush. I have a Ferro veil from my BB5 box and it is ok, but I like my veils from The All Natural Face a lot better. So may try out the blush, or might trade it, not sure.

Speaking of The All Natural Face, below the blush is a vegan eye primer and mineral eyeshadow (in Deep Sea Green) from this company. I really like their products, have tried their shadows before but not the primer.

And last we have La Mellite - Mandarin Espresso Body Scrub. This coffee scrub smells really nice; I only usually use sugar or salt scrubs so this will be fun to try. This is the sample I wish was in a slightly bigger size since it's meant as a full-body scrub (maybe can get 2 uses out of it).

(There was also a product card for Beeseline included for 15% of their line at the Natural Beauty Store).

Product Sheet
This is by far the best product card I've received in a beauty box. They list each item, how much the sample size is worth, how much the full size costs, the discount you get if you buy the full size, the directions on how to use it, the ingredients (which is excellent!) and how much the samples in the box are worth in total. Other beauty boxes take note!

Close up of product sheet

So, here are the pros and cons of this box as I see it:

Pros: All deluxe sample sizes/full size products
         Natural beauty products
         Amazing product card and discounts on full-size purchases
         Natural Beauty Store and reward points on purchases

Cons: Why is the box priced in USD when it's a Canadian company?
          Overwhelming medicine-y scent to the box (most likely from the witch hazel in certain products)
          Packing peanuts in box

The last point I noted because a primarily natural shop should try to avoid foam packing peanuts - there are more environmental-friendly options.

Foam packing peanuts in the bottom of the shipping box

So would I buy this box again? I do like how you can just buy one box without getting onto a subscription plan so I might grab another box in the future. The pros do outweigh the cons for me. However, I hope that in future boxes the witch hazel is toned down a bit! 

Did you get a Natural Beauty Box this month? What do you think of it?

*Update* My nose irritation turned into a full-blown pounding headache, so I think it's best for me to stay away from the products with witch hazel. :(

8 comments:

  1. I don't like witch hazel either...hmmm. I am getting my first TNBB in October so hopefully there will be less witch hazel there! Are you subscribed for the year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I only subbed for one month. Will have to see future unboxings to determine if I can buy this again - as my nose really doesn't like witch hazel!

      Delete
  2. I am a little bummed that my sample of the mask is less then what they said. I was going to email them but figured the rest of the items made up for it. I see we got some dofferent items in the box. I went ahead and ordered the next box just because I liked this one. I like not being obligated to take the next mnth if I don't want to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too bad about the mask - you're right, it is a high-value box though! I also like how you can just order when you feel like it, and are not locked in month to month.

      Delete
  3. What a fun box..I've been thinking about whether I want to sign up for this or not..I'm still on the fence.

    I'd love to try the undereye stuff with the witch hazel if you can't use it, if you're interested in anything that I can get you. :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm sorry - I totally would have sent that your way but I gave it away to a friend last week. My nose just wasn't happy with the witch hazel and I had to get those products out of my house. Maybe try the beauty trade group on f.b.? Sorry about that.

      Delete

Leave me your thoughts! I love to hear from followers and readers :)