About Me

My photo
The 'B' List. A look at the beautiful things in life. This blog is devoted to that list. Join me on the journey, why don't you?

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Review: Sally Hansen VitaSurge Strength Gel

In general my nails are quite weak. They always split at the tips, especially after removing nail polish. So, I decided to try a commercial strengthening treatment to see if it would help at all.

Sally Hansen VitaSurge
I picked up a bottle of Sally Hansen VitaSurge Strength Gel. It cost me $7.49 for a 13.3 ml bottle at Rexall. As you can see on the package, they promise "stronger nails in 5 days". To be honest, I think I picked up this treatment as opposed to another brand because I saw a beauty editor in some fashion magazine recommend it (I think it was LouLou, but can't be sure).



It has a very thick, fuzzy brush and tiny white "beads" suspended in the gel (I guess these are the "micro-vitamins"?)

The first thing I noticed besides the blue gel formula was the smell - it is highly perfumed.

My nails before treatment
As you can see, weak and peeling nails :(

With strength gel applied 
After swiping on the gel, it takes about 10 minutes to be fully absorbed. It does feel nice when absorbing and my nails feels slightly stronger immediately afterwards. I repeated the process once a day for five days. The package said it could be used over nail polish as well, but I wanted to try it without so it could really soak into my nail bed.

After 5 days of treatment
To be honest, not only did I not notice a difference in my nails, another one of my nails cracked after the 5 day treatment (note the crack on my ring finger nail. It only appeared after applying the gel every day!) My other two fingers in the picture look a tiny bit better, but I wonder how much of it is due to growing out for 5 days and how much to the strength treatment? I can't really tell.

Because of this, I'm going to have to say the Sally Hansen VitaSurge strength gel is a miss. To me, there just wasn't enough of a noticeable difference over the course of the 5 day treatment to recommend it to people who have weak, peeling or brittle nails. Also, if your nose is sensitive, the fragrance in this treatment might be a bit irritating. I also wonder how much this was recommended by the beauty magazine in which I first saw it, and how much was paid advertising. In any case, I'll try another treatment soon. Any recommendations?


12 comments:

  1. I've been trying out The Triple Strong formula for the last two weeks. It's my favorite so far. I definitely feel like my nails are stronger.

    http://sallyhansen.com/products/nails/nail-care/triple-strong

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool - thanks for the recommendation! I will take a look at it the next time I'm in store.

      Delete
  2. What a bummer. My nails peela and the julep made it worse... I hope ti find something as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was a bit of a bummer - hopefully I'll find another product I'll be able to recommend!

      Delete
  3. It looks like your nails havent peeled any more than they were before applying. That's a good sign!! I would keep applying and see if it works out for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might try this one for longer - I just didn't think it worked that well in the time that was advertised. I didn't like how my nail cracked on my ring finger though. But I have heard that treatments can take up to a few months.

      Delete
  4. The Julep one is supposed to be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have put that on my wishlist, actually - maybe I'll get that with my bloomspot coupon!

      Delete
  5. you're supposed to massage the gel into your nail, it works much better

    ReplyDelete
  6. you're supposed to massage the gel into your nail, it works much better

    ReplyDelete

Leave me your thoughts! I love to hear from followers and readers :)