About Me

My photo
The 'B' List. A look at the beautiful things in life. This blog is devoted to that list. Join me on the journey, why don't you?

Monday, April 1, 2013

Happy Easter! Egg decorating

If you celebrate Easter, I hope you had a great holiday and that the Easter bunny brought you lots of chocolate treats! If you don't celebrate, hopefully you had a nice long weekend (and still nabbed some delicious chocolate :) 

Like last year at this time, I want to share with you the egg that I painted; it's a sort of tradition for my family to paint eggs using a dye and beeswax method (called 'pysanky')  for years now. (For a more detailed post on the steps to create this type of decorative egg, see my egg design from last year).

My 2013 Easter egg!

This design is based on a pattern from an egg decorating book, and I embellished on the design by changing the colour scheme and adding more lines and criss-cross designs. This egg from start to finish took over 3 hours.

Some more designs 
My father and my husband created eggs this year as well (my mum helped with the dyeing process and melting the wax off when we were finished). My husband's design is in the middle and my dad's is the back right (my egg again is back left). Like last year, I used the electric kistka to deposit the wax onto the egg - I find it's a lot easier to create tiny lines and detail. The other two eggs were made with a regular kistka - it has to be manually heated over a candle flame and requires a bit more patience. I think those eggs turned out amazing! This is definitely a favourite tradition of mine.

What's your Easter traditions? Have you decorated eggs this way - or do you use another method?


8 comments:

  1. I loooove it! They turned out beautiful. I'm not Ukranian, but Polish and I learned how to do these. I think I'm going to pick up the necessary tools and try this next year with the kids and maybe make it a tradition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Give it a go - it's a lot of fun for kids as well.

      Delete
  2. Wow, that's amazing! I haven't decorated eggs since I was a kid and those were just with food colouring and sparkles lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always liked those - bring on the bling-tastic eggs!

      Delete
  3. Hi there, the eggs are adorable. I'm just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful!!! I haven't ever decorated eggs. My roommates found this out and decide we are going to have to do it next year :)
    -Anna
    makeupandmasala.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The regular kistka, beeswax and dyes are just $10-$20(depending how many colours you get. And you can make tons of eggs with just a bit of wax!

      Delete

Leave me your thoughts! I love to hear from followers and readers :)