About Me

My photo
The 'B' List. A look at the beautiful things in life. This blog is devoted to that list. Join me on the journey, why don't you?

Friday, April 26, 2013

Review: Cover Girl Clump Crusher Mascara and Maybelline Baby Lips

Remember the Cover Girl Clump Crusher Mascara and Maybelline Baby Lips balm I got last month in my Easter swap with Jenny? Well, I've tested both of 'em out and here are my thoughts on the products.

Clump Crusher Mascara in 805 Black (retails for $8.50)
Tube and brush out of the package
Close-up of brush
I've wanted to try this mascara ever since I saw the T.V. adverts with Pink, claiming that no matter how many times you apply the mascara to your lashes, it will not clump. It also promised 200% more volume. And I just liked the lime green tube :)

Interestingly enough, I've heard the the Cover Girl team spent a long time developing the brush, positioning the little bristles just so, to ensure that clumping won't occur.

So of course my curiosity got the best of me. Does it live up to its claims?

My lashes without mascara
With Cover Girl Clump Crusher mascara
Close up
Close up eye closed
So as you can see, compared to my regular lashes, the Clump Crusher mascara does make a difference in terms of length and volume. 200% more volume? That's difficult to say, but I did notice it doesn't make my lashes as long as some other mascaras (It Cosmetics Hello, Lashes! for example). I find that it gives my eyelashes a more natural look, perfect for daytime. I don't know if I would reach for this mascara for an evening look, as I prefer a more dramatic eye (and a good drugstore brand for this is Maybelline's One by One).

In terms of clumps, this mascara wins hands down. I can do many coats (for me, that's 8-10 per eye) and it doesn't leave huge clumps like some other mascaras I've tried. No fixing and positioning lashes after - as soon as you coat lashes to your liking, you're done. However, I find that even if I go over the same lash a few times it doesn't make a huge difference in terms of length and volume (even in the TV ad, if you look at the bottom of the screen - it only flashes for a second but it says "styled with lash inserts". Meaning you wouldn't get that on-screen look with any mascara if you tried).

Verdict: This mascara is a winner for daytime. A few swipes on lashes and you're good to go. For a more dramatic look though, you may want a different mascara. Extra points that it doesn't flake during the day and is easily removed with your favourite eye makeup remover.

Maybelline Baby Lips in 025 Pink Punch (retails for $3.99)
And now for a tinted lip balm - Maybelline Baby Lips. This balm has SPF 20 and claims to give lips 8 hours of moisture. It also claims to make lips visibly less dry (82%), less rough (94%), more supple (77%) and better looking (77%) after four weeks of use, though I don't know how you would scientifically define "better looking". I have only used this lip balm for about two weeks, so I can't comment on the stats, but I can tell you how I find this product.

The tube (I do love the writing - very 90's-esq!) 
My colour - Pink Punch
Swatch on lips

On first applying it is extremely smooth and moisturizing (it also kinda smells like a fruity drink). I find that although the colour fades after an hour of so, my lips are still moisturized for several hours afterwards. Definitely not 8 hours, as on the package, but possibly upwards of 2 hours. Not bad for a drugstore tinted lipbalm. What I like about this balm is that it's a hint of colour + moisture together (as my lips dry out fast) and it's such a cinch to apply, no mirror is needed, literally swipe and go. Just don't apply with a heavy hand or the colour can become a bit chalky in texture, only a dab and you're good. I've paired it for a natural daytime look with the Clump Crusher mascara as well.

Verdict: An okay tinted lip balm that delivers a few hours of moisturization and colour (but if you're looking for the colour to stay, apply it every hour or so. And don't apply heavily or the tint can look pasty). Good for daytime wear.

Have you tried either Cover Girl Clump Crusher mascara or Maybelline Baby Lips? What are your thoughts?



2 comments:

  1. Clump Crusher looks pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it more and more each time I wear it - the no-clumps make it so easy to swipe on in the a.m.

      Delete

Leave me your thoughts! I love to hear from followers and readers :)